|"Love as thought, is truth. Love as action
is right conduct. Love as understanding
is peace. Love as feeling is non-violence."
|" Life is a song sing it ...you too must pass your days in song. Let your whole life be a
spiritual song. Believe that God is everywhere at all times, and derive strength,comfort and
joy by singing His glory in His presence. Let melody and harmony surge up from your hearts,
and let all take delight in the love that you express through that song."
Sri Sathya Sai Baba (Prashanti Nilayam Nov. 14 1976)
Every Sunday, 11:15 PM at Alpha Montessori, Plano
(TBA Bhajans on Seva sundays )
Silent sitting: The first step ensures an erect body posture and control of the body and the senses.
Omkar: Chanting the Omkar aims at tuning the mind to one’s own inhalation and exhalation.
Singing God’s names and glories: This step is intended for the emotional elevation of all. The
psyche in man which is the seat of all human emotions like desire, hatred and anger has to be
purified. This purification is possible when the words with sublime meanings and beautiful thoughts
are sung with devotion and love. The attitude of supplication, while singing, helps in the process.
Prayers and Shanti mantras: This step helps the devotee to rise above self-centered tendencies
and develop love for all fellow-beings. The attitude of identifying one’s own happiness with the
happiness of others has to be consciously practiced and developed as an exercise in self-
Silent sitting: This step is the point of turning one’s gaze within oneself. Until now, God has been
invoked outside oneself, but now one must look within, at Him in silence.
Arathi: This is an appropriate closing prayer of homage to Sai.
Vibhuti: Vibhuti is then shared among the devotees as a token of the Lord’s grace.
Men : Full Pants and Shirt
Women : Saree / Salwar Kurta with Dupatta
|Guidelines for Bhajan Leading
1. Bhajan (singing devotional song) is a sadhana (spiritual discipline) for all who share in it. With
each Bhajan song the mind must be rendered pure, free from passion and stronger in faith.
Bhajan must be a thrilling experience, leaving the participants full of pure energy and elevated
2. Bhajans have to be sung and offered to GOD in an attitude of utter humility. They are not to be
taken as exercises in an exhibition of talents and as a competition for mastery of musical skills.
They have to please the Lord not your fans.
3. Sing familiar Bhajans so all can share "Anand Bliss".
4. Pay attention to the tune, the meaning, the variety, the voice, the raga (rhythm), the tala (beat),
and other fine points of the Bhajan.
5. When you sing Bhajans dwell on the meaning of the song and the message of each name and
form of GOD.
6. Do not monopolize the time in Bhajans by singing one for 6 or 10 minutes, or by repeating the
same line often. Repeat each line only twice and no more. Have only two speeds and other fast, in
this way you can have in 1 hour of bhajans, more songs on more forms, more tunes and variety,
giving more people the chance.
7. Bhajans must be a felt experience. Do not sing with one eye on the effect the song makes on
the listeners and the other of the effect it makes on God. Let your heart pant for God then the
raga and tala will be automatically be pleasant and correct
8. Bhajans should be sweet to the ear. If your voice is not pleasant or sweet, keep quiet that is the
best service you can give.
9. Unless you sing Bhajans for your own joy, you cannot bring joy to others. It is only when the
feeling arises in the heart that the song will appeal to the hearts of others. I am pleased only when
Love is the key note, when the feeling of unity prevails, when the melody comes from cleansed,
God loving hearts.
10. People should return from Bhajans carrying the elevated, uplifted and sublime mood created
by the atmosphere at the Bhajan. Therefore, after the Bhajan people should disperse quietly,
maintaining silence. Then the joy and peace derived at the bhajan will linger and abide in the
11. Bhajan leaders should be present and seated before 3 OM's.